- 7zip uses the latest
file compression algorithm called
XZ Utilities is similar to
gzip but is derived from
7zip. It is used to compress/decompress Slackware packages.
- Analog C:Amie Edition is a fast web log analyzer and reporter written in the C programming language.
- ANTLR is a lexer/parser and automatically generates code in c, java and python.
- Aria2 is a nice file downloading tool that supports
BitTorrent, FTP, HTTP, and
- The Apache Foundation is perhaps best know for it's
HTTP Server but there are many other projects such as
Tomcat a Java servlet and JSP server,
Hadoop for distributed
MapReduce computing and
SpamAssassin for reducing email spam.
- Blender is a graphical 3D content creation suite
- BSD.org has basic information
- FreshBSD shows recent commits to the code and allows searching
- BSD versus Linux is a comparison by Matthew Fuller
- BSD Distributions
- Bitrig is a fork of OpenBSD 5.6 and includes:
- LLVM/Clang C compiler to replace GNU/GCC
- FFS2 default file system which supports 64-bit timestamps (y2k38 ready unlike OpenBSD)
- UUID and GPT support
- ARM support
- DragonFly BSD has the new HAMMER filesystem.
- FreeBSD is one of the first BSD systems for the PC
and is used by Yahoo and many others.
- FreeNAS is a network attached storage (NAS) system based on FreeBSD
- FreshBSD keeps track of source code changes to FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD...
- GhostBSD is a workstation version of FreeBSD
- NetBSD is another early BSD system forked from FreeBSD.
The 32-bit NetBSD x86 system has 64-bit dates and is immune from the
year 2038 problem (y2k38).
The NetBSD Release Glossary and Maps describes all the versions available.
- OpenBSD is a fork of NetBSD which focuses on security and
new software such as
- LibreSSL a fork of OpenSSL
- OpenNTPD a network time protocol daemon
- OpenSMTPD a replacement for Sendmail
Here are Archives of portable versions for Linux and other systems
There is a git of the current development portable version.
- OpenSSH an open source version of SSH
- OPNsense is a FreeBSD firewall distribution that is a
fork of the now defunct
- PureDarwin is an open source version of Apple's macOS (OS 10)
- True OS is a desktop version of FreeBSD that uses the ZFS filesystem and replaces
the now defunct PC-BSD distribution
- Clamav is an anti-virus program for Unix and the
Clamwin program is for Microsoft Windows.
For a stand alone bootable CD there is Brandon Parry's
ClamAV Live CD
- Clonezilla will clone/copy/backup disk partitions.
is a UNIX lookalike operating system for 286/386/486 systems from now defunct Mark Williams Company.
In 2015 the MWC sources were posted under a open source license, so everyone is free to use the system.
is a program to let you "see" a URL, including ftp.
- Darik's Boot And Nuke DBAN - Hard Drive Disk Wipe
- ddclient is a client daemon for updating dynamic DNS records. It is written in perl
- Dillo is a small sweet web browser
based on the
Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK)
- Dissenter is a clone of Chrome modified for free speech
- Dos is still alive
- FreeDOS includes all the standard tools, fdisk, format, etc.
FDOS has different versions of FreeDOS floppy diskette images.
Christian Taube has
bootable USB images
- Fcron is a periodocal command scheduler that can replace
Vixie Cron and Anacron.
- FFmpeg is a very fast video and audio converter. It includes FFserver which is a streaming server that can stream audio/video over the web to Windows Media and RealPlayer clients.
- Firefox is a Web Browser from Mozilla.org
that features tabbed windows and pop-up blockers.
For beta versions/nighly builds of Mozilla software see
For a very stable version used by businesses and large organizations see
Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR)
GNU IceCat (aka Gnuzilla or IceWeasel ) is the GNU version of the Firefox web browser.
allows one to edit a PDF document and fill in a form.
It is based on the
Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK)
- Fresh Meat: bleeding edge "Free" Software
- FVWM a desktop window manager that sits on X
- Gaim was a GTK based instant messenger program now superceded by
- SuperLinux Encyclopedia
is a HUGE index of Open Source/FreeBSD/Linux links in the tradition of Gary's Encyclopedia.
- Ghostscript is a PostScript clone that allows
one to view Postscript documents under X Window and to create PDF files from Postscript files.
- Gimp was used to create the "COMET" logo
GTK+ The Gimp Toolkitis used by the Gnome Desktop
- GMP is a C library for arbitrarily large precision arithmetic.
- Gnome a desktop that sits on X
- GNU's Not Unix:
- Gparted is the Gnome disk partitioning program that
is available as a Live CD/USB/PXE
For older version here is the
Gparted Sourceforge page
- Haiku is an open source version of BeOS focusing on a great desktop experience with a BSD license.
- HandBrake is an open source video transcoder
- Mark Hessling's Multi-platform Tools
- Xen is a hypervisor that can run multiple copies of an operating system
all at the same time.
Xen supports Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and others as guest operating systems.
- Inkscape is an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
- illumos continues the work of OpenSolaris which is dead.
- ImageMagick is a software suite to create, edit, and compose bitmap images. It can read, convert and write images in a variety of formats (over 100) including DPX, EXR, GIF, JPEG, JPEG-2000, PDF, PhotoCD, PNG, Postscript, SVG, and TIFF. Use ImageMagick to translate, flip, mirror, rotate, scale, shear and transform images, adjust image colors, apply various special effects, or draw text, lines, polygons, ellipses and Bézier curves.
- Java is a widely used object oriented language now owned by Oracle.
Java API documentation
I re-wrote a Java Clock applet to make the hands go counter clockwise in honor of
Grace Hopper, one of the earliest computer programmers:
a replacement to the Microsoft office suite competes with
OpenOffice which is now owned by Oracle.
- Lighttpd is a secure, fast, standards-compliant web server.
- Links a Text/Graphical Web Browser supports tables and frames
- Lynx is a text browser for the WWW,
support tables and frames.
- Minix 3 is small free (BSD license) Unix clone from
- Mailing List Management Made Joyful
- Music Player Daemon source code is at
- MythTV is software to build your own Tivo like box.
- Pale Moon is a fork of Mozilla/Firefox.
- Parted Magic a bootable cdrom image for partitioning a disk
- Partimage is disk partition backup/restore software
used by SysRescCD and others.
- PDCurses is a is a public domain curses
library for DOS, OS/2, Windows console, X11 and SDL, implementing most of the functions
available in X/Open and System V R4 curses
- PERL a widely used language for CGI
and Active Perl for Microsoft Windows
PERL modules from CPAN(Comprehensive Perl Network) and
CPAN Frequently Asked Questions
- Pidgin (aka Gaim) is a GTK based instant messenger program that
supports multiple protocols such as Yahoo!, MSN and AOL.
pear PHP Extension and Application Repository
- The Python OO interpretive language
- Prey is an open source anti-theft project especially useful for
laptops and portable devices running Mac OS, Linux or Windows.
- QCwebcam by
Alexander Belit is
a QuickCam like program that uses a
Unix FTP/HTTP Server
to control a video camera.
- Rosetta Stone for Unix contains comparisons of Linux, BSD, AIX, etc. commands
- Ruby an Object Oriented scripting language
copies much from Perl.
- SeaMonkey is an all-in-one Web Browser, email client, IRC chat, ... application from Mozilla.org and is the direct descendant of the old Netscape Browser
is a nice nntp newsreader originally written by John E. Davis, the author of the
- SourceFORGE.net now contains much Open Source/Linux software
developed at the University of Edinburgh by Ken Hughes
and here is their Computer Science Department Documentation
- Search Engines
- Paul Lucas re-wrote SWISH in C++ and called it
- Another slower version is
an Enhancement of SWISH
- Tor is a software project to allow one to browse the web
- Terminfo and Termcap
as maintained by Eric S. Raymond
on the www.tuxedo.org site.
- Ultimate Boot CD
- Unix References
- VLC Video Lan Client is a nice video/mpg player that can also act
as a streaming server.
- Vienna University of Technology has a huge collection of
Open Source Software
- wget can download
a complete web site including pictures using a single command.
- Windows Software
- Xitami is
a Web/FTP Server for Windows machines.
Or build your own multi-language case tool for finite state coding, all at:
iMATIX Home Page
- W3M is a text browser like
Lynx, and supports tables and frames.
- xearth is an X Window background
showing a globe map of the Earth.
- XFree86 is an X Window server
used on Linux, FreeBSD and other systems.
- Xlockmore is an X Window
Lock screen and screensaver program
- Window Managers for X
last modified on 2020 February 27
Please send comments to: email@example.com