SORT - sort selected lines in a file
- SORT target [[sort field 1] [...] [sort field 1000]]
- The SORT command sorts a portion of a file based on the sort field specifications.
- A sort field specification consists of:
- order flag - [Ascending|Descending]
- left column - left column of field to sort on
- right column - right column of field to sort on
- If the 'order flag' is omitted for a sort field , the 'order flag' for the previous sort field is used. If no 'order flag' is specified, all sort fields are sorted in acending order. Therefore SORT * D 1 1 2 2 A 3 3 4 4 is the same as SORT * D 1 1 D 2 2 A 3 3 A 4 4
- The right column MUST be >= left column.
- 1000 sort fields are allowed.
- target can be any valid target including ALL, *, -*, and BLOCK.
- XEDIT: XEDIT only allows ordering flag for all fields
- KEDIT: Compatible.
The Hessling Editor is Copyright © Mark Hessling, 1990-2015
Generated on: 26 Jan 2015
Return to Table of Contents